Whether you prefer real or artificial Christmas trees, this is the week that sales usually increase and families make time to buy and decorate.
If you can’t decide on which to go with here are a few facts that might help according to realchristmastrees.org
- There are approximately 25-30 million Real Christmas Trees sold in the U.S. every year.
- There are close to 350 million Real Christmas Trees currently growing on Christmas Tree farms in the U.S. alone, all planted by farmers.
- North American Real Christmas Trees are grown in all 50 states and Canada.
- Eighty percent (80%) of artificial trees worldwide are manufactured in China, according to the U.S. Commerce Department.
- Real Trees are a renewable, recyclable resource. Artificial trees contain non-biodegradable plastics and possible metal toxins such as lead.
- There are more than 4,000 local Christmas Tree recycling programs throughout the United States.
- There are about 350,000 acres in production for growing Christmas Trees in the U.S.; much of it preserving green space.
- There are close to 15,000 farms growing Christmas Trees in the U.S., and over 100,000 people are employed full or part-time in the industry.
- The top Christmas Tree producing states are Oregon, North Carolina, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin and Washington
- It can take as many as 15 years to grow a tree of typical height (6 – 7 feet) or as little as 4 years, but the average growing time is 7 years.
- For every Real Christmas Tree harvested, 1 to 3 seedlings are planted the following spring.
Here are 5 Christmas tree farms to check out near Augusta and Aiken.