Predicted Rain Changes Dates of Three Area Christmas Events
Dates of three annual holiday events have been changed this week, due to rainy weather predicted for the weekend.
“Christmas in Columbia,” which was originally scheduled for this Sunday, December 3, at Evans Towne Center Park, will be pushed up to Thursday, November 30.
Schedule of Events for Thursday, November 30:
- Sip n Shop from 4 pm to 9 pm will include local artisans and vendors offering unique creations for gifts
- 6 pm is the Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony
- Santa Claus will be in attendance throughout the evening
- No fireworks display this year
Tree Lighting Ceremony Date Changed in Aiken
The 35th annual downtown Tree Lighting Ceremony in Aiken has also been moved up to this Thursday, November 30, due to impending rain. The festivities will be held from 6 pm to 7:30 pm on Newberry Street in Aiken’s historic downtown.
Augusta’s Christmas Light Up Spectacular Postponed to December 9
The annual Christmas Light Up Spectacular and Tree Lighting event in downtown Augusta won’t be held this Saturday, December 2, as scheduled due to rain in the forecast. It’s been moved to the following Saturday, December 9. Festivities will be held from 4 pm to 7 pm at the Augusta Common. The lighting of the Christmas tree and fireworks show will begin at 6:15 pm.
Columbia County Christmas Parade Sunday, December 3
For now, there’s a 60% chance of rain in the forecast for this Sunday, the day the Columbia County Merchants Association is scheduled to hold its annual Christmas parade, but the event will go on as scheduled.
There will be several temporary road closures for thru traffic on North Belair Road, Evans Towne Center Boulevard, Evans to Locks Road and Antebellum Way beginning Sunday at noon. Road closure times may vary depending on the weather.
During the closing of the parade route, the following intersections will be fully or partially closed:
- Industrial Park Drive @ North Belair Road–Completely Closed
- Ronald Reagan Drive @ North Belair Road–Completely Closed
- Ronald Reagan Drive @ Evans Towne Center Boulevard–can’t make a left or right thru traffic only
- Main Street @ Evans Towne Center Lane–Completely Closed
- Encore Lane @ Evans Towne Center Lane–Completely Closed
- Williamsburg Way @ Allen Drive–Completely Closed
- Taxslayer Drive @ Allen Drive–Completely Closed
- Allen Drive–Completely Closed
- North Belair Road @ Evans Towne Center Boulevard–Completely Closed
- Evans Towne Center Boulevard, northbound from Washington Road will be closed at Evans to Locks Road
- Evans to Locks Road eastbound from Washington Road will be closed at Evans Towne Center Boulevard
- North Belair Road northbound from Washington Road will be closed to left turn or straight traffic at Evans to Locks Road, Detour right at this intersection only
- Evans to Locks Road westbound will be closed to right and straight thru traffic at North Belair Road. Detour left at this intersection.
For more local news, click here.