Threats of Violence Continue at Georgia Schools, Including Augusta: Law enforcement officials across the state are on high alert after threats of violence were received at a handful of schools across Georgia this morning,…

Augusta’s Morning News with John Patrick, Mary Liz Nolan, and Chris Michaels

Weekdays 5:30AM-8:45AM

Not All Foods on Your Thanksgiving Table are Safe for Pets (Photo by Paul Hawthorne/Getty Images)

When you’re enjoying your Thanksgiving turkey with all the trimmings, be careful when you’re sharing some of that feast with the four-legged members of your family.

Some of the things on your table are safe to give pets, in moderation.  Small amounts of cooked, white meat turkey breast are fine, but make sure you take the skin off.  Be.chewy.com says things like skin and gravy tend to be fatty, which can cause pancreatitis in dogs. Other unsafe or unhealthy foods to avoid giving pets at Thanksgiving:

*stuffing

*casseroles

*mashed potatoes

*raisins and grapes

*chocolate, cookies, pies and sweets

*nuts

*salt and salty snack foods

*raw or undercooked meat, eggs and bones

*alcohol

*onions, garlic and chives

On the flip side, most vegetables are safe to give pets as long as they are plain.  They tend to love plain broccoli, carrots, asparagus, celery, cucumbers, green beans, green peppers and zucchini.  Other safe foods include apples, plain pumpkin, rice, corn and cheese.

If you’re concerned your pet has ingested something that could be toxic, either call your veterinarian or ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435.

Care.com says in general, any newly introduced food can induce vomiting and diarrhea, so keep new foods to a minimum.  Vets say they see a large spike of poisoning in dogs during the holidays.  While it’s hard to resist those puppy dog eyes staring at you as you’re enjoying your holiday foods, keep in mind you could be feeding them something potentially harmful without realizing it.  To be on the safe side, it’s best to ask your guests too not to feed your pets from the table.  That’s the best way to avoid any food-induced illnesses that could lead to serious health issues for your pet.