Ten-year-old Nicolas Mai died as a result of a fire in his family’s home in Martinez in late May. Investigators now say that an electrical issue sparked the blaze at the home at 214 Sarah Creek Court off Columbia Road on May 31.
Another child who was in the home when the fire broke out got out safely with the help of a neighbor. Firefighters found Nicolas unconscious in the living room of the room once they were able to get inside. He was rushed to a local hospital, but died as a result of his injuries.
The fire quickly spread to another home nearby, but firefighters were able to contain it quickly. No injuries were reported there.