A woman is dead after reportedly being exposed to a toxic chemical in Jefferson County.
The 58 year old woman was apparently exposed to some type of pesticide in her home Wednesday in Wadley. Authorities say the spray was used to kill roaches and insects, but the fumes made the woman and three children, ages 11 to 14, sick.
All four were initially taken to Jefferson Hospital in Louisville around 8:00 p.m. and the woman was pronounced dead about 5 hours later.
The children were transferred to Children’s Hospital of Georgia in Augusta where they were reported to be in critical, but stable condition.
Meanwhile, a hazmat team arrived at Jefferson Hospital to decontaminate the emergency room and any workers who came into contact with those who had been exposed to the chemicals. The insecticide has been tentatively identified, but authorities say they’ll release more information after they have a confirmation.
The woman’s body has been sent to the state crime lab in Atlanta for an autopsy.